Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I'm not running for office!

In the last year or two, I've had a flattering number of friends in the Society for Technical Communication tell me that they really, really, really would like to see me run for the office of 2nd VP. For those of you who read this who aren't familiar with the STC, you get elected for 2VP, then you accede to 1VP, then President, then Past-President, then your debt is paid and they strike your chains and you are freed. I've been on the Board for almost two years now and I'm happy with what I've been accomplishing on the Board itself and very unhappy with what I've been able to devote to being a regional sponsor (but I have to say that that's life, sadly; being on the Board hasn't been an easy task the last few years). It's been worth it, though; I've had a hand in helping the STC survive and bringing it into the 21st Century at last.

But the thing is that, while I think I might be a good President, while I think the STC would benefit from my being on the Board, while I think that it would be worthy work... I ain't gonna do it. I am not planning on running for 2VP next year when I'm up with my term as Director. It's a lot of work, there's no money involved, and there's not a lot of glory, honor, or fame. Furthermore, almost everyone who's President has either suffered significant financial losses because of the lack of time they put in to their jobs or has seen their primary relationship blow up--a disturbingly large percentage of the Presidents in the last decade have had this happen to them during their tenures in the Presidential chain. Most importantly, I keep having this feeling like time is running out and I'd rather not spend another four years of the rest of my life obligated to the STC. I'm sure I'll be doing committee work here and there for people--I really want to support Mark Clifford's presidency, for example--but I'd like the freedom to say "No" occasionally.

The biggest problem I've been having is that I tell all these people who are so flatteringly trying to get me to say "Yes" that I'm really not interested, and they don't believe me. They think I'm being coy and that my denials prove that I'm planning on running. No, I'm not that subtle, kids; trust me on this (but it's nice that you credit me with that kind of gamesmanship.) If I were thinking about running, I'd tell you.

I'm sure that there is some combination of factors that could really happen (as opposed to the "someone'd pay you a million dollars to do this," which isn't going to to happen for this job) that would convince me to run and maybe even feel good about it. But I can't think of any combination and I'm even less convinced that there'd be such a combination that the Babe would feel good about it. When I told her today that people just don't believe that I'm not running, the Babe said "You do like being married, don't you?" Exactly my thought, too.

I'm not kidding: I'm not running. I'm sure I'll be helping out on the Board, but someone else is going to have to run for 2VP next year, because I've got other things I'm thinking about doing.

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

bozoette said...

Sounds like you've thought it through. Maybe I'm the exception that proves the rule -- no financial ruin and the marriage survived! But I will tell you, the chains are never completely cut, alas. (Did I say that?)