Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Willow :(

Last night, I noticed that Willow was doing a lot worse. The tumor has gotten large and she's lost bladder control. She's also stopped grooming and is clearly looking miserable. This morning, she was having trouble breathing--nothing really big, but her breathing's looking labored--and she couldn't sleep: she'd lie there but her eyes would be open and she looked uncomfortable. I've been waiting for a sign that it was time for her to go and I think that this is it. She's not happy and she doesn't like being touched. I'd hoped that Willow would continue to feel no significant pain and just drift off, but I'm going to have to intervene.

I called the Westmoreland Animal Hospital, who will do housecalls for this sort of thing, bless 'em, and scheduled Dr. Voss to come over this afternoon. She ultimately couldn't make it because a surgery ran long, but Dr. Moring came over about 5:00. She confirmed that it was time. I held Willow while they administered the drug and she drifted off very peacefully. We made sure that BC had a chance to see her right after she died, which sometimes helps kitties adjust when there's a death in the househould (although I expect BC to be wandering around looking for Willow for a while).

The Babe and I buried Willow in the backyard near the maple tree in a hole I'd dug earlier this afternoon. I gave Willow a handful of kibble and a big sprinkle of catnip for the Summerland and we covered her up. I'll miss her.

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

bozoette said...

Oh, I'm so sorry, John. May Willow rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

My heart hurts for you, John. I lit a candle for her swift passage to Summerland. May she rest in the arms of Mother Bast 'til you see her again.