And here I was worried that I was going to have too many bedding plants. Haw haw haw haw haw haw!!!
I got one barrel planted and a couple of the hanging baskets, but I saw how I was planting waaaaaaaaaay too far apart. Yes, one is generally supposed to plant things widely spaced and all, but these are floral barrels that I'm going to be feeding with plant fud and all and the plants weren't going to grow together with the spacing (3-4") I'd left so I was able to more than double the number of plants in the barrels... which means that I got three barrels and two hanging baskets done and I am bloody well in need of more plants! What. A. Shame.
I'm really pleased with what I've accomplished today, even though my hands are uncomfortably dry from all the digging in the dirt. The barrels are already pretty (and the alyssum is in full bloom and has that wonderful seductive honey smell whenever you're anywhere near it). There's also the satisfaction of doing something that's going to make the backyard that much more gorgeous in a few months.
My only annoyance (other than needing a bunch more plants) was that I encountered masses of little yellow round things a bit smaller than a BB that I'm fairly sure are snail eggs. Slug eggs, as I've seen in times past, are clear, slightly translucent, things that show up in small masses, but these were a bit hard but they would crunch when pressed. They fit the descriptions of snail eggs that I found on the net, so I think that's what they are. I didn't like the idea of lots of baby snails feasting on all my hard work, so as I worked the soil in the barrels, I'd squeeze handfuls (and hear little popping noises). I'll keep an eye on the soil and the plants for the next couple of weeks to make sure that these things aren't hatching into something that likes baby plants.
And meanwhile, I t'ink I gots t' go to de store again for more plants.