Friday, January 27, 2006

Notes from the STC Board meeting

Here in Atlanta on Friday morning at the pre-Board session on educational issues. It’s lovely that the hotel has given us a really ~nice~ plate of cheeses along with the more typical breakfast fare. And I just went to get a little fruit: being in Atlanta, we apparently have access to decently ripe cantaloupe and honeydew in January. (Oh, gawd, ripe strawberries and blackberries and raspberries, too!)

I’ve been suffering this cold for some days and was still whorfling heavily yesterday, but as the day wore on, I was feeling a good deal better. This morning, I actually felt almost well. Hurrah! I figure I’ll be in even better shape tomorrow. It’d certainly be nice not to have to blow my nose or clear my throat every 5 minutes.

The Atlanta Hyatt hotel where we are is a very good hotel, although being not so keen on heights, I’m not happy with the completely open “airshaft” style of the hotel. I hug the walls a bit when I’m walking from my room to the elevator (which, as luck would have it, is diametrically opposite the elevators… which are themselves the open glass “outside” elevators so you can see going up and down).

It’s a trifle frustrating that, where we are in the International Ballroom downstairs from the lobby, there is no wireless connectivity. We’re under too much metal and concrete, so I have to wait until I get upstairs to make any connections. I’m also less than pleased that this is an open wireless network, completely unsecured: I feel nervous about doing things online because there’s just no telling who’s snooping my passwords. Hell, I felt kinda chary about entering my credit card information on the form to start all of this up. Hmmmm….

We’re discussing what we like and don’t like about the conference right now. I’m pleased that I’m not the only one with some of my concerns and there is a shared view of the kinds of things we can do better. I am also enormously buoyed by the opportunity we’re seeing for change and progress now. I know we’d never have managed this a year ago, but I think that things are going to happen now.

Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

bozoette said...

Sounds like a good meeting!!