Thursday, October 27, 2005

George Takei out of the closet

I logged on to AOL this evening only to see in the news that George Takei has come out. I can't honestly say that I ever thought about it one way or t'other, but I guess it doesn't really surprise me in retrospect.

Years ago, my ex was producing Star Trek conventions, an interesting and frequently bizarre occupation. I had the pleasure of seeing George frequently. He was always accommodating and easy to deal with. George had (and still has, as far as I know) a reputation for being polite, calm, and extraordinarily gracious even under trying circumstances. Perhaps the most amazing tribute is that George has never been rude to a fan, which elevates him to "patience of a saint" level by definition. :)

George is a thoughtful, urbane man who is an exceptional conversationalist and a pleasure to be around. My favorite memory of George is when my ex was putting on a Star Trek convention at the Anaheim Convention Center. I didn't have anything to do on Saturday evening after the con closed for the day, so I went to the hotel's sauna to relax and try and get the Anaheim smog out of my lungs. The sauna was already occupied by George, his nephew (who he'd brought with him to the convention), a couple of the vendors from the con, and a random hotel guest. We sat in the sauna, sweated, and talked LA politics--George was in the middle of a (sadly unsuccessful) run for LA City Council. I'm sad he didn't make it; George would have made an exceptional public servant.

I am pleased that George feels good enough to come out and that he's been in a solid relationship for 18 years. He's a wonderful man, a talented actor, and a pleasure to know.

Share/Bookmark

No comments: