Friday, August 12, 2005

Tales of SMUD

It's always nice to know you're married to the right person. George Elliot said "A difference of taste in jokes is a great strain on the affections." Clearly, the person I'm married to shares a taste in the absurd. I related the following recollection to the Babe when we were driving back from Florence, OR, last weekend (pictures coming shortly).

Almost 30 years, I'd just moved to Sacramento. It was getting into campaign season and there were a couple of contested seats on the Sacramento Municipal Utility District--aka "SMUD"--which controlled power, water, and garbage services in the area. A gentleman (well, I think it was a man; I don't honestly recall now) named Hursh was running for one of the seats on the utility board. What stuck in my mind was his campaign signs, which dotted the landscape with an oddly imperative sentence:


Hursh for SMUD!


The Babe thought this was absurdly funny, too. When she finally stopped laughing, she said "Do you recall his first name?" No, I replied, I didn't. She said "Pity it wasn't 'Will,' as it could've been even better:"

Will Hursh for SMUD!


Good to know that we're on the same perverse wavelength.

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Probably doesn't much matter, but a correction: SMUD is the municipal electric service in Sacramento County. That's it. Water and garbage are controlled by different agencies, depending on where you live in the county.

SMUD has never provided anything except electricity. www.smud.org

John Hedtke said...

Well, what can I say? You're right. :)